Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Optics and Precision Engineering (IOF)
The main topic of research and development at Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Optics and Precision Engineering (IOF) is optical system technology with the objective of controlling light – from its generation, guidance and manipulation to its ultimate application in various markets as information and communication, illumination, transport and traffic, production, life sciences, medical technology, astronomy and aerospace, pollution conservation and security.
Focused research in the fields of:
• Multi-functional optical coatings
• Characterization of surfaces and coatings
• Micro- and nano-structure technology for optics
• Ultra-precision manufacturing
• Micro-optical imaging systems
• Optics for beam shaping of semiconductor light sources
• Beam guiding optics
• Free form optics
• Fiber lasers and their application
• Optical measurement systems and sensors
• Systems for optics characterization
• Fine mechanical precision systems
• Procedures of optics assembly.
In the business area of optical instrumentation, the competencies cover development, manufacturing and assembly of optical components and systems. Examples of the successful participation of Fraunhofer IOF in spectrometer and telescope projects for space and ground based applications are JWST, BepiColombo, EnMAP, Sentinel-4, LBT, VLT. The Fraunhofer IOF is a competent partner to local, national and international industries and a contractor to the public sector in the field of optics and photonics.
Type of Optics Asphere, Conformal, Cylinder, Freeform, Large optics (>300mm), Light-weighted optics, Micro optics (<5mm), Plano, Prototypes, Sphere
Services Assembly, Coating, Lens design, Opto-mechanical design, Prototypes, SPDT
Materials Glasses, IR, Metals, UV, Visibles
Research Interests MRF